December 1, 2010 § Leave a Comment
February 9, 2009 § 1 Comment
I’m a not massive fan of the social networking site, Facebook (for some sober reflection on the phenomenon, read Mohler’s recent post), but I’ve capitulated to the pressure and participated in the current wave of submitting 25 random facts about oneself. For those that aren’t on Facebook here are some quotidian facts about the person that is me.
1. I cannot play an instrument.
2. I like to climb trees.
3. I have an irrational ambition to witness a tsunami (preferably from a safe distance).
4. I’m afraid to calculate how many hours I have gamed. One of my favourite obsessions, Guild Wars, has occupied me for over 2,774 hours. This is 3 months of continuous play.
5. I have traveled to North America, Canada, New Caledonia, Australia, Fiji, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Hawaii.
6. The first movie I ever saw was Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I had my eyes closed for most of it.
7. I have been asked out by more guys than I have asked girls out.
8. I am not proud of the previous fact.
9. My favourite movie is Collateral. Sometimes this can waver between Blade Runner and the Empire Strikes Back. Collateral has it’s clear flaws, but I love the shifting psychological landscape of the Mann film and his eye for capturing bruised twilight in an urban space.
10. Philippians is my favourite book of the Bible. Or maybe Habbakuk. Or Hebrews.
11. I have only been to the South Island once. And to Invercargill, of all places.
12. The only bone I’ve broken is in my left wrist. And I managed to break it twice. Once playing indoor cricket, and the other during a physical education class at high school. In both cases I said nothing until I got home.
13. I once had afternoon tea with the former king of Tonga.
14. I didn’t have a stand-out favourite toy as a kid but one particularly memorable gift was a Knight Rider trike my parents bought back from the states. It had a brake that enabled the driver to coax sharp turns. I had worn out the brake within a week.
15. My best ever bowling figures are 6 for 26, when playing for the Eden Roskill cricket club.
16. The last live concert I went to was a performance by Cliff Richard. This was fifteen years ago, so almost excusable.
17. It took me over five years to convince my dad to get me a dog, when I was growing up. He got me a fox terrier, who I called Monty and I loved enormously.
18. My verbal IQ is 136. My written IQ is 142. I usually disregard the latter.
19. I do not have a full vehicle license.
20. I am both a procrastinator and a perfectionist, which together form a debilitating impediment to beginning or completing any task.
21. I love the sound of night.
22. I have listened to John Piper’s sermon “How the Supremacy of Christ Creates Radical Christian Sacrifice” from last years T4G conference more times than I can count. Pipers words reverberate in my head.
23. My absolute favourite drink is lime juice. And it has to be fresh.
24. I have an inordinate love for stationery. It is true: stationery is the bedrock of civilisation.
25. My apartment is never tidy. I tell people it is an experiment in testing the law of entropy and the direction of time.